Program & Social Media Coordinator
The Flagstaff Arts Council is soliciting a dynamic individual to fill the Program & Social Media Coordinator position to assist with planning community-facing programs including First Friday ArtWalk, Flagstaff365, and events at Coconino Center for the Arts. This position is initially offered as part-time.
We are seeking a candidate that loves engaging with the community both in person and online and that can evolve with the organization, problem solve, and create and implement new procedures. Strong candidates have experience in program or project management, sales and customer service, social media, and volunteer coordination. The best candidates have a genuine interest in arts and culture in Flagstaff.
- Increase business participation and visibility of First Friday ArtWalk.
- Grow Flagstaff365 advertising.
- Develop volunteer marketing materials and application.
- Work with Executive Director to create social media calendar.
About Flagstaff, Arizona
Flagstaff is Arizona’s high-desert mountain town and the gateway to the Grand Canyon. Located on the Colorado Plateau and at the base of the sacred San Francisco Peaks, it is a beautiful setting for the diverse population that calls it home. Flagstaff has a dynamic history and has grown and changed with the arrival of the railroad, construction of historic Route 66, an emerging Northern Arizona University, and the immense tourism draw of surrounding national parks and forestland. More than 100,000 people call the Flagstaff area home.
About Flagstaff Arts Council
Flagstaff Arts Council (FAC) is a nationally recognized nonprofit that seeks to promote, strengthen, and advocate for the arts throughout Flagstaff. As the official art, science, and culture agency for the city, FAC builds strong connections between artists, practitioners, nonprofits, government, and the business community. We believe art is transformative, science and art enrich each other, and that art builds community.
This year, FAC is at a pivotal moment in its history and is embarking on a bold new strategic plan to catalyze the arts ecosystem, foster diversity, equity, and inclusion, and to promote the integration of arts and science throughout the community.
FAC is supported by a 20+ member volunteer board of directors, committees, advisory groups, and dozens of volunteers annually. Seven staff members work on a broad cross-section of projects, all designed to support a vibrant and creative city.
FAC is most well-known for the “red” carpet Viola Awards which honors over 40 stand-out community members and organizations, signature exhibitions including upcoming Parched which explores water scarcity and conflict in the southwest, the Art & Science Grant Program which awards over $350,000 annually to more than 40 organizations, downtown’s First Friday Artwalk, and year-round arts programming at the Coconino Center for the Arts.
Social Media Coordination
- Oversee Flagstaff365, First Friday Artwalk, and Flagstaff Arts Council social media channels
- Maintain social media calendar, create content
- Respond to and engage with followers
- Collaborate with other staff to ensure content schedule supports all program needs
- Track analytics and adjust strategy to grow and engage audience
- Management and promotion of First Friday ArtWalk and Downtown Friday Nights, including regular community engagement and seeking program sponsorships
- Management of Flagstaff365.com including ad sales
- Optimize assigned programs to meet budget goals
- Assist with development and coordination of new programs
- Work directly with Program Assistant interns
- Volunteer recruitment for all upcoming events; regular communication with volunteers
- Intern recruitment, strengthen relationship with NAU and CCC
- Implementation of high-quality systems for management, tracking and retention
- Planning and execution of volunteer appreciation and recognition programs
- Development of new volunteer programs in the community
Gallery and Event Support
- Support for Center for the Arts activities including exhibition installation and setup for meetings and workshops
- Front desk duties including: greeting visitors, answering phones, and making sales
- Staffing of events, as scheduled
Other Duties as Assigned
- FAC is a dynamic organization in the middle of an important pivot and other duties may be assigned.
To be considered in the first round of reviews, qualified applicants should submit all application materials no later than Friday, July 12, 2019.
While there is no minimum experience required for any of the job functions, applicants MUST demonstrate transferable knowledge and skill for each of the job duties. Applications should focus on quantifiable outcomes and achievements.
- Cover Letter (make it sparkle!)
- Answer to supplemental questions:
- Tell us about the most complicated project you managed from beginning to end. (limit 350 words)
- Tell us about the most impactful social media campaign that you implemented. (limit 350 words)
- What is the most memorable volunteer experience you’ve ever had? (limit 350 words)
Flagstaff Arts Council is committed to its work in improving its equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts and fostering an environment where all people are welcome. We look forward to welcoming applications from a diverse pool of applicants. Flagstaff Arts Council provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Must enjoy people
- Passionate belief in the importance of arts, culture, science and community
- Experience with Facebook, Instagram, and social media best practices
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proactive, collaborative, professional, creative, curious, and hardworking
- Possess a high standard for accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to independently move assignments to completion with only basic instruction and minimal supervision
- Ability to motivate volunteers
- Ability to manage many details and priorities
- Ability to apply mission and strategic standards across project types
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work successfully and respectfully with diverse staff, partners, organizations, and stakeholders, and maintain space for all voices
- Ability to navigate and respect a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, personalities, and communication styles
- Website management (Wordpress or similar)
- Experience with Point of Sale systems and retail sales
- Ability to manage workload and anticipate upcoming needs, as well as respond to shifting priorities
- Must be willing to support the success of Flagstaff Arts Council and cheerfully take on tasks as needed for organization success
- Appropriately handle confidential and sensitive information
The strongest candidates will have experience in some of the following areas.
- Adobe Creative Suite or similar to support collateral development if graphic design support is unavailable
- Experience with marketing and writing press releases
- Cloud based office systems such as Dropbox, VOIP phone systems, and Google Suite
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL AND TIME REQUIREMENTS
Flagstaff Arts Council is an open and collaborative work environment. Applicants must possess the following:
- Ability to withstand pedestrian travel for at least 10 blocks, ascending/descend multiple flights of stairs per hour/day and tolerate extensive periods of immobility
- Ability to carry 40 pounds
- Ability to work occasional weekends and attend weeknight events/meetings
Other reasonable accommodation may be made for job responsibilities.
Status: Non-Exempt, Part-Time (Approx. 20 hours per week)
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary Range: $14 to $18/hour depending on experience
- Minimum of 2 weeks of employer paid vacation time, increases with tenure
- 10 employer paid holidays per year
- Employer paid $50,000 life insurance policy
- Employer paid sick time accrued at 1 hour per 30 hours, or as required by Arizona law.
Benefits are subject to change.